Kvinnediskriminerende IWC

Jon Henrik

Ansvarlig redaktør
Medlem
12. okt. 2007
Sted
Fredrikstad
Dette er sikkert old new for mange, men kom nettopp over det, og fant det rather amusing.

Air crews to IWC: Watch yourself

Hong Kong (dpa) - Flight attendants in Hong Kong Friday protested an advertisement for a luxury watch designed for pilots which carries the slogan: "Often seen on stewardesses' bedside tables."

They said the advertisement for the Swiss-made IWC Schaffhausen Big Pilot's Watch, which appeared on the front page of an English-language daily newspaper, is sexist and demeaning.

Beneath the slogan, the advertisement describes the watch as "engineered for men," "not infrequently spotted in bedrooms" and says its seven-day power reserve "means you can afford to stay in bed that little bit longer than usual."

Complaints have been lodged on behalf of the flight attendants with the watch company, the consumer council and the South China Morning Post which carried the advertisement in its Wednesday editions.

Hong Kong is home to thousands of female flight attendants working for mostly for Cathay Pacific and Dragonair and copies of the Post are carried on board the flights and given free to passengers.

"I couldn't believe the advertisement when I saw it. It's incredibly demeaning to women," said one 32-year-old Cathay Pacific flight attendant, who requested anonymity.

"It's breathtakingly sexist and seems to make out that flight attendants are loose women who sleep with pilots just because they've got a nice watch. I think IWC should apologize."

John Findlay, general secretary of the Aircrew Officers Association which represents Hong Kong pilots, said pilots and flight attendants alike objected to the advertisement which he called "tasteless."

"Thousands of pilots and cabin attendants employed by the airlines in Hong Kong will see nothing in the words except an example of innuendo of the most sexist, offensive kind," he said.

Findlay, himself married to a senior Hong Kong-based flight attendant, added: "There's no point in asking our members to boycott IWC watches as I have never seen a pilot wearing one."

There was no immediate response to calls and emails to IWC Schaffhausen in Hong Kong and Europe seeking comment on the complaints about the advertisement.

;) Egentlig synes jeg slikt er storm i et vannglass, klarer ikke å ta anklager om sexisme så veldig alvorlig. Men jeg synes IWC har hatt et nivå på markedsføringen i det siste som ikke står i stil med kvaliteten på klokkene. Skulle tro tekstforfatterne solgte Axe deo eller noe slikt, ikke luksusklokker.

fullPR-011392-436-1.jpg

• Liker
Reaksjoner: PerØ
Den Store Boken Om IWC. Som alle har....;)

Hæ? Er du fan av IWC? Synes du bør flagge det litt sterkere både ift profilbilde og diverse signaturer... ;)

Når det er sagt, den boka har jeg selvsagt lyst på. Hadde uansett vært kult med et signert trykk av Bilal, en fantastisk serie-tegner og et fantastisk klokke-merke.

Men må si at de har de-gradert seg litt med markedsføringen sin i det siste. Du har jo også disse LE-ene som blir solgt gjennom Collector's Forum. Her har IWC "utnyttet" godtroende fanboys med heller dårlig håndarbeid, bl.a. ifb med CF-3-en... Men hey! Høy salgspris, lave produksjonskostnader. Det er jo enhver økonoms våte drøm... :)

Men må si at de har de-gradert seg litt med markedsføringen sin i det siste.

Markedsføringa av IWC gir bare dårlige vibes.
"Swiss Luxury Watches for Men" er et flaut reklameslagord. Sveitsisk er greit, men jeg er ikke sikker på om IWC faktisk helt gir luksusfølelsen, og det er åpenbart at de lager klokker som har større appell til kvinner enn menn, jmf bilde av Adriana Lima ovenfor.

Redigert: